If you live within 10 miles of your workplace, bicycling is a great way to get to work. It's fun, great for your health, less expensive than most other alternatives, and is frequently the fastest way to commute.
Inspiration and Motivation
- Bike New York’s free Bike Commuting 101 seminar is a brief, inspiring presentation with all the information you need to start biking to work.
- Details about NYC’s Bikes in Buildings law and program implemented in 2009, to help cyclists obtain secure bike parking in office buildings during work hours.
- “Be Stronger, Happier, and Wealthier by Biking to Work” (PDF), an article from the 2007 Five Boro Program
- “A Bicycle Built for 9-5,” an Associated Press podcast about bike commuting featuring advice from Bike New York
- “Riding in New York City Traffic” from the 2008 Five Boro Program (PDF)
- Locking up? Find out if your technique makes the grade! Video > (5:43)
- All sorts of commuting tips, from wet weather riding techniques to how to carry groceries home by bike from the League of American Bicyclists
Routes and Conditions
- Google bike directions: Plot a route using Google Maps
- Ride the City: Find a New York City route that suits your needs
- Twitter updates of bike path conditions on NYC bridges
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Click below to make a donation and support Bike New York's work! More info >>