|Sun, 11/2||1:00 pm - 2:30 pm||Roosevelt Island: Lounge inside the Sportspark < map >||Register >|
|Thu, 12/4||6:00 pm - 7:30 pm||Roosevelt Island: Lounge inside the Sportspark < map >||Register >|
Impress your friends and loved ones by riding your bike even as the temperatures drop! Winter Riding 101 is a free evening class that offers tips and tricks to help you extend your cycling season – whether for a few weeks in the fall or straight through the entire winter.
From gloves to gear, the lively class will teach you how to stay warm, safe, and in good condition (both you and your bike, that is) until spring returns.
Winter Riding 101 will inspire you to keep pedaling, even after everyone else has holed up for the season. Taught by enthusiastic year ‘round riders, the informal class will leave you excited to layer-up and hit the road (perhaps on studded tires!).
- What to wear
- How to stay visible in dark conditions
- How to ride as road conditions change
- Gear options for your bike
- Winter bike maintenance techniques
- Handy resources for your winter rides
- Bikes on mass transit
- Duration of class: 1.5 hours
- Location of class: indoor class space
- Class size: unlimited, as location allows
- Instructors: two instructors
- Instructor to student ratio: 2 to many, depending on location
- Equipment necessary: none
- Availability of loaner bikes: not necessary
- Registration policy: no advance registration is required; walk-in students are welcome
Is This the Right Class for You?
Not quite ready to store your bike for the season but still not sure how to ward off a strong wind chill? Curious about how to stay safe when riding in the dark? And what about snow?!? This is the class for you.
Winter Riding 101 is free and open to anyone. No advance registration or purchase is required and there will be no pressure to buy anything whatsoever.
After attending Winter Riding 101, just keep riding!
If your friends and coworkers are impressed by your year ‘round cycling and are thinking of making the switch to bicycle, consider hosting a Bike Commuting 101 class at your workplace. Bike New York offers lunchtime Bike Commuting 101 sessions to inspire more people to go by bike. (link: http://www.bikenewyork.org/learn/adults/bike-commuting-101/)
Want to share your bike love with newbies? Become a Bike New York volunteer and help to create the next generation of New York City cyclists. (link: http://www.bikenewyork.org/volunteer-teach/at-classes/volunteer-application/)
Sign Up For Our Mailing List
Click below to make a donation and support Bike New York's work! More info >>