Riding with someone under the age of 18? Take note of the following.
- There must be one adult for every one child.
- Children younger than three years old may not participate.
- Youth ages 3 to 9 must ride on a tandem bike, tagalong bike, or in a bike trailer.
- Youth ages 10 to 13 can ride their own bicycles, but must remain in close proximity to their adult guardian.
- Youth ages 14-17 can ride their own bicycles, but must be themselves registered and linked to a registered adult riding in the Tour.
- Complete the emergency contact information label inside your vest and those of any child you are escorting.
- Plan ahead and decide on a rendezvous point in case you and your child get separated. Instruct your child to seek out a Tour marshal wearing a yellow vest. The marshal will guide him or her to an information/reunion center. Staff can then communicate with other information/reunion centers and Tour Command to reunite you.
- Make sure your child has a phone. Decide on a nonriding person you both will call and make sure you have that phone number written out for each of you. If only the parent has a cell phone, make sure your child has that number.
- Finally, make sure your child has a little money so that if s/he reaches Fort Wadsworth before you, s/he can eat while waiting for you to arrive.
Riding with a group? Here are some tips to ensure your ride goes smoothly.
- Make sure you and your friends have stored important phone numbers, such as that of a noncycling contact, your hotel, and your group members’ homes and cellular phones. Designate a noncycling friend to take calls during the Tour and serve as your personal message center.
- Make sure all cell phones are fully charged, and bring along quarters or a calling card for pay phones just in case.
- If you’re looking for someone, proceed to the next rest area. Do not wait in or on the side of the route. If you don’t find who you’re looking for at the rest area information/reunion center, ask a volunteer to help you.
- Plan to meet at the Finish Festival information/reunion center at the end of the ride in case you need to regroup.
- Make sure everyone in your group knows the procedure.
Sign Up For Our Mailing List
Click below to make a donation and support Bike New York's work! More info >>
© 2013 Bike New York * 475 Riverside Drive, 13th floor, New York, NY 10115 * t: 212.870.2080 * Background art courtesy of bicyclepaintings.com