Click here for security information about bringing bags on the Tour.
With a mission to encourage cycling, Bike New York promotes one of the most eco-friendly forms of recreation and transportation day in and day out. When 32,000 cyclists get together and take 40 miles of street space from motor vehicles, and then get inspired to ride at other times too, the benefits are astounding. If the same number of cars drove 40 miles, they would burn more than 60,000 gallons of gas and emit more than a million pounds of carbon dioxide.*
Along with making the TD Five Boro Bike Tour a fun, memorable experience for all participants, Bike New York is striving to reduce the event’s environmental impact. Below are some initiatives that help make the 2013 Tour even more beneficial.
- Relying heavily on this website and our e-newsletter to stay in touch with riders and the public
- Having online-only registration for riders eliminates a lot of paper and mail
- Printing outreach materials such as the Tour brochure, poster, and Official Program on FSC-certified recycled paper
- Expanding the recycling program to include bottles and cardboard at all rest areas, water stations, and the Festival
- Donating leftover food from rest areas to City Harvest, a food rescue organization dedicated to feeding the city’s hungry men, women, and children
- Working with local community gardens to collect banana peels and other food waste at rest areas for use as compost
- Advising participants to cycle or take public transit to get to and from the event [Getting There >]
*Pollution estimate calculated according to EPA standardsusing the national average for fuel efficiency.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Click below to make a donation and support Bike New York's work! More info >>