Stay safe by following some simple rules.
The following guidelines apply for what we call our “regional rides,” which travel on roads open to vehicles. (Click here for safety tips for the TD Bank Five Boro Bike Tour, which is different due to closures for motorized traffic and the volume of cyclists.)
Stay safe by following these few simple rules:
- Stay right. Ride as far to the right side of the road as is safe. Full Explanation >
- Stay alert.
- Separate. Maintain adequate distance between you and the cyclist ahead of you, especially on downhills. If you’re passing someone, call out “on your left” so they know you’re coming.
- Wear your helmet. Always, all day. Helmet Safety >
- Keep your ears and eyes clear. No headphones, picture taking, or cell phone use while riding. More Info >
- Obey traffic laws. Watch for and obey stop signs and stop lights. Why?
- Be courteous. Place all trash in proper receptacles. Use polite language.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Click below to make a donation and support Bike New York's work! More info >>
Traffic Smarts Quiz
Before your next ride, test yourself with these 12 questions to find out how well you know your rights and responsibilities as a street cyclist.
Share the Road Quiz
Whether you use the streets as a driver, a cyclist, or both, see how much you know about sharing the road safely.